Ubuntu 9.04 and Asus Eee PC 901

I had to try this. It's been a while my Eee PC was not very well. The 4GB SSD boot disk with Xandros was full, updates were not working, the whole experience was bad. Xandros in all its simplicity and goodness, got it really wrong, how did that partition get full so easily? (it was not my files btw).

I had a USB stick with Ubuntu 9.04 in my bag for a couple of weeks now, when I downloaded it and installed it on VMWare I decided to create the live USB stick and try it on a few laptops, so today I thought "Why not?" and went for it.

The installation was a dream. I chose manual partitioning, mounted '/' to the 4GB disk and '/usr' to the (slower but massive) 16GB one. After the install I've got 3GB available on the first disk and 10GB on the other. Brilliant!

Ubuntu deserves all credit here. The OS works like a treat on the little 1024x600 display, the wired and wireless networking just works and so far it's been a tremendously good experience. So good that I had to write this! :-)

My Eee PC has got a new lease of life. Well done!

Congrats! I was considering an ASUS laptop since my current laptop had been two "sick" to use. Then I discovered the Ubuntu OS. I'm very pleased...when the finances improve I'll still consider the ASUS. I'm glad to know you are enjoying yours again.

Popular posts from this blog

  • I've been always wanting to sit down one day and solve this problem; test the speed of manipulating pixels on a Bitmap using the three options: - the convenient but understandably slow Pixels[], - the "interesting" Scanline property and - the Windows API GetDIBits and SetDIBits. I have been traditionally using Pixels for quick work and the Get/SetDIBits for low-level pixel manipulation such as the filters used in ToolBox . Never really used the Scanline property in anger, I was always thinking, DIBits "had" to be quicker. Little I knew... I have been experimenting with two tools that I've written and never released to the public domain. The first is the BMPCreator which I wrote in order to create 256-level grayscale bitmaps, the other is the IconCreator which uses a grayscale bitmap and applies color maps to it, giving you the ability to create different colored versions of the same icon (like in my database visualization tool VirtualTreeNavigator ). Yester
    Keep reading
  • A while ago I posted a "how-to" doubling as a check list for installing Linux on VMWare and later I've added other posts full of little hints and reminders (e.g. fonts, keymaps). A few years later and that information is still valid, however my workflow has changed a bit, so here's a new post based on Ubuntu 12.10 (Quantal Quetzal) trying to consolidate everything into one big list. Ingredients A downloaded ISO image of your favourite distro ( Ubuntu , Debian , Mint ) A newly created virtual machine with 1-1.5GB of RAM, a 20-40GB disk and a couple of CPU cores. Installation Mount the ISO image to your VM and boot it up, then follow the instructions to install your distro selecting your preferences (timezone, keyboard layout, etc.). It helps if your Linux account has the same username as the one on your host OS - it helps when accessing your computer via ssh. Once the installation finishes and the VM boots up, log in with your newly created user account
    Keep reading
  • Was just looking for a quick way of formatting an external hard drive to use with my PS3. PS3 recognises only FAT32 drives, but if you are using Windows XP and try to format a drive larger than 32GB in FAT32 you will find it almost impossible. The only options you get are "NTFS"and that's about it. There is however an alternative formatter (C source code available) that can be found here . Works a treat! Just open a command-shell and type: fat32format <drive letter>: ... and you are done!
    Keep reading