Ubuntu 9.04 and Asus Eee PC 901

I had to try this. It's been a while my Eee PC was not very well. The 4GB SSD boot disk with Xandros was full, updates were not working, the whole experience was bad. Xandros in all its simplicity and goodness, got it really wrong, how did that partition get full so easily? (it was not my files btw).

I had a USB stick with Ubuntu 9.04 in my bag for a couple of weeks now, when I downloaded it and installed it on VMWare I decided to create the live USB stick and try it on a few laptops, so today I thought "Why not?" and went for it.

The installation was a dream. I chose manual partitioning, mounted '/' to the 4GB disk and '/usr' to the (slower but massive) 16GB one. After the install I've got 3GB available on the first disk and 10GB on the other. Brilliant!

Ubuntu deserves all credit here. The OS works like a treat on the little 1024x600 display, the wired and wireless networking just works and so far it's been a tremendously good experience. So good that I had to write this! :-)

My Eee PC has got a new lease of life. Well done!

Comments

Congrats! I was considering an ASUS laptop since my current laptop had been two "sick" to use. Then I discovered the Ubuntu OS. I'm very pleased...when the finances improve I'll still consider the ASUS. I'm glad to know you are enjoying yours again.

Popular posts from this blog

GetDIBits vs. Scanline vs. Pixels[] in Delphi Bitmaps

Installation of Mint 17.1 Cinnamon on VMWare

Now and Then