Installing Oracle 10g Express Edition on Ubuntu

This was a bit tricky... So here it goes, in case anybody else in the world would like to do it. Full installation instructions can be found here, however I hope that these steps will help:

0. Downlad the Debian pacakge (oracle-xe-universal_10.2.0.1-1.0_i386.deb) from http://www.oracle.com/technology/software/products/database/xe/index.html.

0. First of all, you need to su as root, and unfortunatelly sudo is not enough! Oracle will not install properly unless you do that:

sudo -s


You might want to add 1GB of swap space space. Use these commands:

mkdir /swap
dd if=/dev/zero of=/swap/swapfile_1gb bs=1024 count=1048576
mkswap /swap/swapfile_1gb
swapon /swap/swapfile_1gb


To make the swap file stick add the following lines to /etc/fstab:

/swapfile swap swap defaults 0 0


To check that the swap file is used, type:

swapon -s
free


1. Install libaio1 if you don't have it:

apt-get install libaio1


2. Start the installation:

dpkg -i ./oracle-xe-universal_10.2.0.1-1.0_i386.deb


3. Configure your instance, remember to write down the password:

/etc/init.d/oracle-xe configure


4. Add the Oracle environment shell script in your .bashrc. Edit the file with vi and add the following line at the bottom:

. /usr/lib/oracle/xe/app/oracle/product/10.2.0/server/bin/oracle_env.sh


Oracle 10g XE is now installed and running on your Ubuntu system. In order to be able to use its graphical UI remotely, do the following:

5. Using sqlplus log in as SYSTEM. At the prompt, type:

exec DBMS_XDB.SetListenerLocalAccess(false);


That's it. To SQL*Plus from a remote system use this TNSNAMES.ORA entry:

UBUNTU_XE =
(DESCRIPTION =
(ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = ubuntu)(PORT = 1521))
(CONNECT_DATA =
(SERVER = DEDICATED)
(SERVICE_NAME = XE)
)
)


From any Oracle 10 client system, type:

tnsping ubuntu_xe

... to check it your Ubuntu-based XE is accessible. To connect to it use:

sqlplus system@ubuntu_xe


Hope this helps.

When things go wrong
I have had a few problems, which I have sorted by ensuring that:
- I had enough swap
- I had done everything as root
- I chose the right port numbers

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Installation of Mint 17.1 Cinnamon on VMWare

Installation of Ubuntu 17.04 (Zesty Zapus) on VMWare Workstation

GetDIBits vs. Scanline vs. Pixels[] in Delphi Bitmaps