Ubuntu here I come...

Years of waiting are now over. I have succesfully configured an instance of the Ubuntu Server v6.06 (Dapper Drake) on a VMWare machine and I'm over the top with joy!

All these years, my linux experience has been somewhat "limited". I had installed all sorts of distros but never had a reason to drill down anymore. Played with the UI and a few apps and that was it, and even though I have been a using BSD and Solaris for quite sometime I never had to learn more than the basics (moving files around, writing scripts, making coffee (java), tailing logs, grepping, etc.).

This time though, I not only installed Apache, Tomcat and Java 5; I went to great lengths adding a second hard-disk, partitioning, extending my swap to the second disk, installing and uninstalling Oracle 10g XE etc. All sorts of "advanced" stuff ;-)

I have now a fully functioning virtual Ubuntu server on VMWare (love this stuff), with Apache, Tomcat and Oracle. I can ssh to them from my cygwin, I can Putty, WinSCP and scp to them. I can sqlplus to my Oracle instance and harness the full power of the best database in the world.

What to say about Ubuntu Server? Obviously its command-line interface is not as good-looking as the desktop edition :-), however, documentation is immaculate, start-up performance is unbelievable.

Well done Ubuntu. Highly recommended!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

GetDIBits vs. Scanline vs. Pixels[] in Delphi Bitmaps

Installation of Mint 17.1 Cinnamon on VMWare

Now and Then